• The email is not personalised to me
• Links in the email lead me to a web page asking me for lots of personal information, yet it acknowledges me as an existing customer (so they'd surely have this information?)
• Links in the email are not to BT's main web site
However, after much digging in the email's Raw Source and just a gut feeling, I think the email is real.
1. If the email is a phishing email, it's worryingly good and likely effective.
2. If the email is genuine, then someone at BT's marketing department should be fired for sending out this incompetent and reckless email.
I searched for "phishing" on BT's web site to find out who to forward the email to for verification - there were no results. Are BT ignorant of this problem? Even my useless bank have such a service.
I've emailed a general enquiry to BT. I'll let you know the result.